Game development software such as Unity, RPG Maker, Unreal Engine, and others require extra power to avoid getting stuck up in developing a game. The best laptop for game development is more compact and powerful than our standard laptops. It is equipped with top-notch technologies to handle graphics power, ensure smooth working and support memory-intensive programs.
Suppose you are developing a 2G game. That might be possible with your standard laptop with reliable features, but if you want to develop the latest video games with more precision and better specifications, developing it on an underpowered computer will take time and effort. A powerful desktop with the necessary technology can work for you. But today’s world requires more mobility and portability. Thanks to the latest laptop manufacturers for producing such unique and top-notch machines that offer reliable and smooth performance with better portability.
What to Look For?
Suppose you are a college student majoring in game development or a professional game developer. In that case, you will know the needs of today’s gaming world and evolving technology. And to cope with today’s games and game-developing software, you might need a laptop with a more powerful processor, better storage and memory, updated GPU, and Graphical display. Especially when you are developing 3D games, as they include many graphics-intensive tasks and require high-end game development software.
The rule of thumb with game designing software like Unity, Character Creation, or CAD software such as AutoDesk Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender, 3DS Max, and Zbrush is to get a laptop with RAM of 16 GB or higher to run high-end programs smoothly. Always go for the latest generation processors to future-proof your rig and more excellent storage to keep your massive library safe. The latest games require precise and great graphic visuals, so get the best laptop for game development with large display and unique graphics card for better reliability.
Our top picks for best laptop for game development
With the increased demands of the latest games and technology, more students are now interested in learning game development to do something they love. It is excellent in general, but it has increased the demand for game-developing laptops and their prices.
Well-known brands and small vendors offer such laptops, so choosing the right one is quite a fuss. You may also have to spend a fortune to get a fantastic game-developing laptop to meet all your needs and desires and provide you with smooth performance for extended hours. We have mentioned some game development laptops that are tested and reviewed by professional game developers. Please give them a read to make your search a breeze and for a better understanding of the best laptop for game development.
1- Razer Blade 14 Gaming Laptop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX 8 Core
Razer is a renowned brand among gamers, and gaming enthusiasts around the globe admire their gaming laptops. All the Razer laptops are sturdy and durable while equipped with top-notch technology to provide gamers or programmers with an intensifying gaming experience.
Suppose you are a game developer looking for a well-founded laptop with high-end features to support your programming needs and provide you with an immersive experience. Then this Razer Blade 14 gaming laptop will ensure smooth performance whether you are playing a game or developing one. Even if you push your laptop to its limits, it will still provide outstanding performance without lag or hanging off the computer.
- With AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX 8 Core processor, this laptop will magnify your game-developing experience.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series Graphics card to help you create stunning graphic visuals for your game.
- Offers excellent storage and memory option with 18 GB DDR4 RAM and 526 GB SSD to run larger files smoothly.
- Other cool features include RGB individual key lighting and a thermal management system for the smooth running of your laptop.
- It has the next-generation 165Hz QHD display for a true-to-life experience.
AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX is equipped with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series Graphics card to enhance your gaming experience with stunning gaming visuals. With this laptop, you can develop a video game with more true-to-life graphics that every hard-core gamer loves. Its NVIDIA 2nd gen RTX architecture is highly durable, and the AMD Ryzen processor is dedicated to magnifying your developing experience and providing you with ultimate power for demanding games and programs.
It allows you to multitask in 3D, video rendering, and software compiling. With the next-generation display and fantastic storage options, including 16 GB RAM and a 1TB SSD, this laptop has everything you desire. And a thermal management system will keep your laptop clean for longer hours to keep your laptop running smoothly.
- Highly durable award winning build.
- Great storage and memory options.
- It allows you to multitask.
- Holds powerful processor.
- Very expensive.
2. ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo SE 15 Gaming Laptop
ASUS is a leading laptop brand known for its highly durable and top-notch laptops made of premium quality material to meet the demand of hard-core gamers. This laptop offered by ASUS can be a great choice to magnify your game-developing experience.
ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo SE 15 is a 2-in-1 laptop with a unique and reliable touch screen and high-functioning keyboard for immersive gaming and development. With this laptop, you will enjoy the game creation process due to its high-end features. The ROG ScreenPad plus 14 inches secondary touchscreen display is designed to ensure smooth gaming, reliable streaming, and intensified creation.
- This ROG screen iPad plus offers 14 inches secondary touch display for unbeatable performance.
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6 is willing to provide you with excellent graphics for game developing.
- Equipped with the latest 5th generation AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor for lad-free performance.
- The 300Hz 3ms 15.6 inches full display with the resolution of 1920 X 1080 IPS type is pretty impressive for gaming.
With a 300Hz 3ms, 15.6 inches Full HD display, and the 1920 X 1080P and IPS type display resolution, this laptop ensures you get the most classic graphics for gaming, video streaming, and game development. 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM and 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD are added for non-stop and lag-free performance for extended hours. Hence, making it the best laptop for game development.
It holds 16 GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB SSD memory to support high-end games and software. Equipped with technology like NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB GDDR6 with ROG boost, it is specifically designed to provide you with an unbeatable game-developing experience so that you can create or compile software with better accuracy and more lag-free work. This laptop holds the latest 5th generation AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor and 16M caches and a turbo boost of up to 4.3 GHz, the first choice for programs and software that push your laptop to its limits.
- Features a unique design
- Windows 10 Home operating system is reliable
- The touchscreen is well-founded
- Suitable for multitasking and game developing
- Battery timing could be more reliable.
3. Apple MacBook Pro 16-in 2.4GHz 8-core i9 32GB 1TB 5500M 8GB Space Gray (CTO)
Another finest addition to our list of best laptop for game development, and if you are into technology, you might not need any further introduction to Apple. Apple is a renowned brand around the globe, and they always take pride in introducing the top-notch and latest technology to the market with their upgraded products.
If you want a laptop for game development to future-proof your rig and eliminate the hassle of getting a new laptop every few years. Then Apple laptops, monitors, processors, and other gaming peripherals are constantly praised by people for their sturdy and durable build, as Apple never compromises on the material of its products.
- Equipped with 16 inches MacBook pro touch bar for enhanced performance.
- It holds 1-year warranty and a USB type-C charge cable for fast charging and better battery timing.
- This gaming laptop holds a 16 inches retina display for a true-to-life experience and accurate tone technology.
- The touch bar and touch ID of this Apple MacBook Pro 16 are highly functional and valuable.
- For better audio, this laptop offers six speakers with force-canceling woofers.
This Apple 16’’ MacBook pro holds a touch bar with a 96W USB Type-C power adapter and USB Type-C charge cable for fast charging and reliable battery timing. This laptop features a 16 inches Retina display with a true tone display for stunning gaming visuals and better game graphics to allow you to develop high-quality games.
This classic laptop’s touch bar and touch ID are reliable and designed to provide immersive performance, strengthening your trust in the Apple brand. Ultrafast SSD is added to provide you with Lag-free working and creating. You will enjoy unique audio features with a six-speaker system that holds force-canceling woofers for high-end performance. Get this laptop from Amazon with a one-year Apple warranty.
- Highly durable and compact
- Very light in weight
- Offers amazing audio speakers
- Offers ultra-fast SSD
- Very expensive
4. ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo UX581 Laptop, 15.6” 4K UHD Nano-Edge Touch Display
It is another amazing laptop by the ASUS brand. If you are a professional game developer, you know the importance of a top-notch laptop with the latest technology to ease working. This ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo is willing to meet all your game development and working needs.
It features a minimalist design, and its frame is highly durable and sturdy, making this laptop compact and lightweight. That gives you the ease to carry this laptop anywhere. It features 14 inches 4k matte touchscreen that ensures you never run out of ways to optimize your multitasking experience. The split window is another cool feature that this laptop offers, and you can extend it for more reliable working.
- Offers better storage and memory of 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and 32 GB DDR4 RAM for a lag-free experience
- Equipped with the latest 10th generation Intel Core i9-10980HK Octa-Core processor for unstoppable performance
- Holds 15.6 inches nan0-edge 4K UHD display for better graphics
- 14 inches of sunscreen allows you to do multitasking
- Additional features include detachable palm rest, laptop stand, and ASUS fast-style pen.
This laptop holds an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 2060 graphics card for premium graphics. Holds a 15.6 inches 4K UHD nano-edge touchscreen for a glossy display that every ASUS user appreciates about this laptop. Equipped with the latest 10th generation Intel Core i9-10980HK Octa-Core Processor with 16M caches and turbo boost up to 5.3GHz to ensure lag-free, intensified, and unbeatable performance, you can work and play on this laptop without any hassle.
The detachable palm rest is willing to provide your wrist with extra comfort. This laptop also has an active-style pen for a more immersive response. It offers amazing storage options for you as it features 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD with 32GB DDR4 RAM for classic performance with state-of-the-art technology. You can also get this laptop from Amazon with a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
- Offers amazing RAM.
- Offers durable built.
- Storage and memory are great.
- The powerful processor works amazingly.
- Very expensive.
- Battery backup could be more reliable.
5. LG Gram 16Z90P – 16″ WQXGA (2560×1600) Ultra-Lightweight Laptop
LG Gram 16Z90P is a classic addition to our list of best laptop for game development, and with its top-notch features, this LG Gram will make your game development experience more smooth and joyful. This is a well-known brand in the market and has been serving tech enthusiast needs by offering premium quality products at affordable rates.
This LG Gram can be a reliable option for your rig as this laptop is available at a lower price than other items on our list and is still willing to provide you with a top-class experience. With its 16 inches WQXGA IPS LCD and resolution of 2560 X 1600, this gaming laptop enhances your game graphics and provides you with 99% color expression to let you develop your game graphics more precisely.
- This LG gram holds a 16’’ inches IPS LCD with a resolution of 2560 X 1600 and 99% color expression.
- Holds the 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor for smooth game developing
- The Intel Xe graphics card can deliver high-resolution video and photo quality.
- The 16GB LPDDR4 RAM and 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD allow multitasking.
- This LG laptop shows exceptional connectivity with several devices, WiFi, and Bluetooth.
The processor is the most crucial part of a laptop, and this laptop holds the 11th generation Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor to provide you with powerful performance. The Intel Xe graphics will never let you down with their performance. This laptop weighs just 2.6 lbs making it highly portable and reliable.
This LG Gram owns 16 GB DDR4 RAM that allows high-level performance for memory-intensive content creation, editing, and game development. In contrast, the 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD will increase productivity by offering more space to keep your data and files safe. It also offers 22 hours of battery backup timing with just a single charge, so you can work and play for extended hours without worry. Additional features include an HD webcam and a backlit keyboard.
- Highly durable and portable.
- Equipped with the latest generation processor.
- Battery life is impressive.
- Better connectivity.
- Its touchpad is hard to push.
6. Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop
It is the last item on our list of best laptop for game development, but if we talk about this laptop’s features, it is nothing less than other items on the list. Acer Predator Helios 300 is a gaming laptop with amazing features and top-notch technology. It provides ease whether you are developing a game or using some intense software, and it will never get out of power.
With the 9th generation Intel Core i7-9750H 6 Core processor and a turbo boost of up to 4.5GHz, this laptop is powerful enough to provide you with a smooth working experience for extended hours. The Windows 10 Home operating system 64 Bit allows unstoppable performance.
- Equipped with the 9th generation Intel Core i7-9750H 6 Core processor for a powerful experience
- This laptop has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics for precise gaming visuals and dedicated 6GB GDDR6 VRAM
- The widescreen LED-backlit IPS display is 15.6 inches and offers a resolution of 1920 X 1080 P
- Holds 16 GB DDR4 2666MHz memory for reliable functioning and fast application launch
- Offer keyboard backlit and 4th gen All-metal AeroBlade 3D fan for better performance.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics with 6GB of dedicated GDDR4 VRAM will provide you with classic gaming visuals to help you do more precise detailing while designing your game. The 15.6 INCHES full HD widescreen LED-backlit IPS display with a resolution of 1920 X 1080 makes sure that you always have enough space for enhanced actions. And with a refresh rate of 144Hz, you will never experience any slow performance or lag while working or playing. This laptop also offers a 3ms overdrive response time, better brightness, and 72% NTSC.
With 16 GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM, this laptop will ensure smooth use of the memory-intensive applications to intensify your creating, developing, playing, and editing experience. With the 512 GB, PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD hard drive bay; this laptop can store and keep your data and file safe for better reliability.
Backlit keyboard lets you work and play even in the dark, and the 4th Gen All metal AeroBlade 3D fan keeps your laptop cool even after long gaming and working sessions.
- It does not get heated up soon.
- Reliable for gaming and game development.
- Better and reliable features.
- Amazing refresh time and response time.
- Battery timing could be more reliable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Many of you need clarification when choosing the right laptop for your game-developing needs, and you might need some expert opinion to help you make the right decision. We have provided you with brief answers to all of your queries related to laptops for game development.
Q.1.How much RAM do I need for game development?
For game development, you will need a more powerful RAM to operate memory-intensive programs and software smoothly. The higher the RAM, the better the performance your laptop will offer. Primarily Unreal engine 4 recommends having 8GB RAM for game Development while 3D Studio Max and Maya can also run on 4GB. But if you want free of lag and more intensified performance, look for RAM with 16 GB RAM or higher.
Q.2. Can Unity run on a laptop?
The laptop hardware can work with Unity but not the graphics card Intel HD 620. And if you own Unity AND visual studio, try getting a RAM higher than 4GB to provide you with enough power for game development. Though it can work on 4GB, you will only be limited to 2D or 3D low poly. As you require the same power while creating a game or playing one, get a laptop with better features for reliable performance.
Q.3. Which is better for game development, AMD or Intel?
As you are looking for a laptop to support better game development, and in the case of Unreal Engine 4, the AMD Ryzen is a more reliable option as the Latest Updates of the R7-1700 leave the Intel Processors behind by offering more robust performance for game development. But if you are a gamer, Intel still holds a 5-10 % advantage.
Q.4.What laptops do game developers use?
The game developers use powerful processors with higher RAM to support intense memory programs with better accuracy and reliability. So that you will always feel that your computer is smooth while working and developing games.
Q.5. Is 16GB RAM enough for programming 2021?
16 GB of RAM gives programmers amazing power and lag-free performance for their programming and developing tasks. If you are a graphics designer or a photo editor, 16 GB RAM will provide you with reliable performance. But for some latest games with high-resolution graphics, you might need RAM higher than 16 GB.
Game development requires laptops with powerful latest generation processors, higher RAM than 16 GB, and better graphics cards to help you create more precise details of your games and to enhance your working, editing, creating, and developing experience. The latest game-developing laptops on our list of best laptops for game development can be costly if you are on a tight budget. Still, they make sure to provide you with an unbeatable experience to ease your life and give a new dimension to your game development work.